Dear Bankless Nation,
At university, my capstone project centered around the work of French philosopher Jacques Derrida.
Derrida’s notion of the future, l’avenir, has stuck with me ever since. To him, there were two futures. There was the “predictable, programmed, scheduled, foreseeable future,” and then there was the l’avenir, the future to come, which was “totally unpredictable.”
I think there’s a lot of lessons you can take away from this concept, from this idea of a “future that arrives that no one could have really anticipated.” The NFT ecosystem is no exception here. My grand point? Expect the unexpected, always and forever.
To me, Yuga Labs’s acquisition of Punks/Meebits was a case of l’avenir, I personally couldn’t have anticipated it. Yet this move has reconfigured the entire NFT ecosystem’s chessboard, so to speak, so we have to catch up to the reality on the ground. And we’re all doing so right now!
Anyways that’s my two gwei for this weekend, thanks for reading everyone, and be sure to keep your eyes toward the horizon 🙏
🛒 NFT News & Platforms
- GameStop plans to launch its NFT platform by the end of Q2 2022.
- Instagram is getting closer to unveiling NFT support.
- Nansen published a light version of its NFT Paradise dashboard system.
- Showtime is moving away from Tezos and Kalamint toward “Ethereum-centric architecture.”
- XYZ voters opted to activate the Universe NFT marketplace.
- Zora V3 smart contracts are now live on the Polygon PoS sidechain.
🏆 Digital Collectibles
- Yuga Labs followed up its CryptoPunks and Meebits acquisitions last week by launching APE, a native token for the Bored Ape ecosystem, this week.
- Larva Labs hid pig Meebit #2858 as part of an NFT puzzle that was just solved.
- CyberBrokers are now completely on-chain.
- Proof of Beauty, an experimental NFT studio, unveiled details of its upcoming HASHv3 marketplace:
- Fingerprints DAO is launching a new project by artist Aaron Penne:
🎮 NFT Games
- Dark Forest, a strategy space MMO built on Gnosis Chain, has seen some epic gameplay drama lately:
- Axie Infinity published a sneak peek of Origin horn cards.
- Snoop Dogg dropped Death Row Mix: Vol. 1 on Sound.
- Coopahtroopa.eth introduced This Week in Music NFTs.
🌐 Virtual Worlds
- Core3D held a Blitwear launch party in Cryptovoxels:
- Decentraland is hosting a Community Fashion Show next week.
💎 DeFi x NFTs
- NFT MEV: someone was able to use MEV to claim 60k APE in one transaction via the NFTX Bored Ape liquidity pool.