Unlimited NFT adventures
Dear Bankless Nation,
The Coinbase NFT beta arrived this week, and generally speaking the NFT ecosystem absorbed the initial rollout without much ado.
It’s no mystery why. I think the space’s initial response speaks to just how much is going on around NFTs lately. Coinbase NFT is definitely new and cool and can be a force to be reckoned with going forward, yet these qualities are true of many NFT projects these days.
If the beta had arrived even as recently as late 2020, the initial response would’ve been much more explosive on account of things simply being quieter then. Now, projects big and small have to contend with the fact that everyone’s attention is being pulled in dozens of compelling directions.
My grand takeaway here? NFTs are alive and well.
🛒 NFT News & Platforms
- Coinbase NFT, which leverages Manifold’s Royalty Registry, launched in beta this week:
- Flip, an NFT portfolio tracker app, released its public beta.
- LooksRare started a listing rewards campaign to incentivize more NFT listings on the marketplace.
- Mintbase, a NEAR-based NFT marketplace, raised a $7.5M Series A round.
🏆 Digital Collectibles
- Akutars kicked off its public sale.
- Anata started its mint event.
- Deadfellaz signed with the United Talent Agency (UTA).
- Forgotten Runes Wizard’s Cult completed Season 1 of Beasts.
- Louis Vutton released NFT PFP rewards in its Louis: The Game mobile app.
- Pudgy Penguins underwent a visual rebrand.
- Moonbirds burst onto the scene in unprecedented fashion. Go deeper in this week’s Bankless interview with Kevin Rose:
- Sotheby’s held its Natively Digital 1.3: Generative Art auction event, which tours the history of generative art and was masterfully curated by Sofia Garcia, Anne and Michael Spalter, and Itzel Yard:
- SuperRare artists can now import Manifold Studio smart contracts as SuperRare Series.
- Redlion.news released txt.art, an NFT poetry anthology featuring works from 40 writers and 40 illustrators. My poem “Ascent of the NFTers” was included:
🎮 NFT Gaming
- Axie Infinity released balancing modifications and other updates to Axie Infinity: Origin.
- Secret Project Team opened up Elixir of the Ancient NFT claims for ChainFaces Arena holders:
- Catalog introduced custom ERC721 smart contracts for its artists.
- Coopahtroopa.eth published This Week in Music NFTs - April 18th.
- SoundMint raised a $1.7M seed round led by Animoca Brands.
🌐 Virtual Worlds
- Crypto Cannabis Club celebrated 4/20 in Cryptovoxels this week:
- The Vienna Tourist Board sent a Sigmund Freud avatar to Decentraland as part of a playful tourism campaign for the city of Vienna.
- The Sandbox partnered with the FlickPlay NFT collection.
💎 DeFi x NFTs
- Cobie published ApeCoin and the Death of Staking:
- Element Finance launched the next minting phase of the Elfiverse.
- Index Coop introduced the JPG NFT index token.
- Injective Pro released Bored Ape NFT floor price perpetuals.
- JPEG’d unveiled JPEG-ETH bonds in collaboration with Olympus DAO.