The next fun things 🎟️
Dear Bankless Nation,
Minecraft's new NFT ban misses the forest for the trees. It's like saying "we won't do web stuff" during the early blossoming of the internet.
The next waves of great fun things will be built on and around NFTs. Believe that!
Why? Because the "open garden" cultural surge that NFTs foster and the ability to use these digital objects in unprecedented ways will lead to brave new territories of funness over the decades ahead.
More simply put, NFTs will play a major role in redefining what fun looks like in the 21st century. The NFT ecosystem has already started decisively on this path, and this reality won't be ignorable by the powerful forever.
Going forward, the possibilities around tokenized digital things are endless, and here the game is just starting, so to speak. So don't worry about Minecraft, they'll come around one day. In the meantime, thanks kindly for reading and have a great weekend everyone ✌️
🛒 General NFT News
- amazon.eth received a 1M USDC bid.
- Franklin Caldwell, a Bored Ape whale, accidentally bought his own joke ENS domain for 100 ETH.
- MetaMask is working on a new confirmation window that will help mitigate SetApprovalForAll NFT scams:
- OpenSea introduced a Solana launchpad.
- PREMINT had its website temporarily commandeered by a hacker, who then stole ~$375k USD worth of NFTs.
- PREMINT also acquired NFT authorization service Vulcan.
- The U.S. Office of Ethics issued new NFT rules for executive branch employees.
- Yuga Labs warned of a “persistent threat group” that may be on the verge of launching a coordinated attack against multiple NFT communities.
- Moonbirds held its Oddities reveal:
- Nickelodeon launched its Rugrats PFP collection.
- Yuga Labs is estimated to have made the equivalent of ~$150M USD via NFT royalties to date.
- Gremplin auctioned Bufo Canicidus via Endaoment for 3 ETH, the proceeds of which will fund conservation efforts around the Colorado River Toad.
- The VerticalCrypto Art Residency Program celebrated its 1st birthday.
- Pxls, a cryptoart project on StarkNet, is launching.
🎮 NFT Gaming
- Axie Infinity unveiled its first Lunacian Summer skins:
- Cool Cats is holding a Fall Guys tournament next week that will have unminted Cool Cats up for grabs as prizes:
- Sablier token streaming is now live on Ronin.
- Square Enix is teaming up with Enjin to create 25th anniversary NFT collectibles for Final Fantasy VII.
- Sound has paid its artists over $3M worth of revenues to date.
- Spores launched an Acoustify functionality.
🌐 Virtual Worlds
- Minecraft banned NFTs, sending Minecraft-based projects like NFT Worlds scrambling to come up with new plans.
- nft42 / nameless parted ways with TokenSmart, the crew behind iconic Ethereum metaverse events like The WIP Meetup, Metalympics, and more.
- Nike x RTFKT released AR Genesis Hoodie NFTs, which are digitally compatible with Clone X avatars and come with accompanying physical versions.
💎 DeFi x NFTs
- NFTX rolled out a new Yield dashboard.
- sudoswap’s new sudoAMM crossed the 500k ETH trading volume milestone already.
- Vesta is preparing to close eligibility for its V-Key NFT program.
🧐 Catch up on my other write-ups from this week: