OpenSea Seaport nears
Dear Bankless Nation,
This week was full of big NFT developments. The one I’m watching closest right now? OpenSea’s deployment of a new “Seaport” marketplace system on Ethereum:
Details are scarce currently, though a two-week Code4rena audit contest that starts today notes the marketplace will be focused on “safely and efficiently creating and fulfilling orders for ERC721 and ERC1155 items.”
I’m not a developer, but a quick review of the Seaport smart contract suggests to me it’ll allow for the creation of zones, or seaports if you will, for fostering customized NFT markets.
We’ll know more soon, but with OpenSea at the helm it’s likely Seaport will prove to be very consequential to the NFT ecosystem going forward. In the meantime, get caught up on the rest of this week’s action below, thanks kindly for reading, and have a great weekend!
P.S. A few minutes after this post went live, OpenSea officially announced Seaport. So now we know more!
🛒 NFT News & Platforms
- Coinbase unveiled a new dapp wallet and dapp browser system.
- The Bueno Generator, a no-code tool for creating PFP collections, is now available to everyone; an associated no-code smart contract deployer is on the way, too.
- Foundation is now open to all creators.
- Lens Protocol, a decentralized social graph, launched on Polygon.
- Linktree adds NFT features in collaboration with OpenSea.
- MEE6, a Discord moderation bot, was temporarily compromised by an employee account, which led to multiple major NFT projects having their Discord servers hacked.
- Zora introduced Editions to its creator toolkit:
🏆 Digital Collectibles
- Chimpers (allowlist) minting begins today.
- ChainFaces HD minting also kicked off this week.
- Nouns DAO unveiled Prop House V2, which extends funding auctions to other NFT communities:
🎨 NFT art
- Cory Van Lew and other artists reveal difficulties they’ve faced in receiving payments from Sotheby’s for NFT auctions they participated in last year.
- jmw327, a popular pixel artist, made x4 their annual salary by auctioning Corner on Foundation:
- Shunsuke Takawo began his Tiny Sketches NFT collection:
🎮 NFT Gaming
- a16z announced a new $600M GameFi fund.
- Axie Infinity announced AxieCon: Barcelona, which will run from September 7th through September 10th later this year:
- Coopahtroopa.eth published This Week in Music NFTs - May 16th.
🌐 Virtual Worlds
- Voxels (formerly Cryptovoxels) started rolling out its $FOLKS airdrop.
- Decentraland is stabilizing its wearable publication fee at $500 USD rather than 500 $MANA.
- Justin McAfee, a researcher with 1kx, published “Virtual Beings: a New Internative-Native Medium for Storytelling.”
- Wassieverse will arrive next month.
- Webaverse kicked off a partnership with Tubby Cats.
💎 DeFi x NFTs
- Slingshot, a web3 trading platform, unveiled a mobile app with a referral program that offers NFT rewards.
- Argent added L2 support for the $JPG index token.